Tuesday, November 16, 2010

day eight



Today, I took it easy, left the lodge late and returned the rental car. Ended up at this nice little French cafe in the beach tourist district near Okinawa City called Onno. It was the first time I have had bread since I arrived, it was delicious, all of their baked goods were baked in a brick oven. Kumi took me there, she had her favorite dish, pasta. A true Japanese-Italian -- I took the liberty of sharing with her how wonderful spaghetti with meatballs is, and the subsequent meatball sub that you must have the next day. I realized that I am missing my usual diet of food in the U.S.

The rest of our day was spent shopping for things that I missed along the way. We ended up at this mall. a 4 or 5 story huge building with everything from groceries to fine clothing and novelty shops. (I will post photos later.) Now, I realize it seems stupid to shop at a mall when you're half-way around the world, only to go to a place seemingly similar to what you have at home. This mall was similar, but actually so different. Along the wall was a bank of a hundred little toy vending machines, like you see at our own malls, except there are so many to choose from! Also, the Japanese are really into socks, there are so many cool socks out there! I believe it's because their custom is to remove their shoes before they enter any home, and of course you want to see something nice on your feet when you remove your shoes, right? 


Well, this isn't much of a post, I'm sorry to say that it's time for me to go to sleep, early day tomorrow. Thanks for checking in while I've been away, I've really appreciated everyone's comments. I do plan to continue to share as I go through my photos. I'm thinking I'll have a flicker page or something with detailed captions -- don't hold me to it -- but I'll definitely share the observations I've made. 


Love you all!  Connie



Toilet in a convenient store bathroom.
Could it be said any better?





No comments: