Thursday, November 18, 2010

Okinawa marketplace

Here are some photos I took while in the Okinawa market, I would guess, a few miles of aisles like this to shop. I wouldn't doubt that you could get whatever you could dream of in this market.


Those banjo-looking instruments in the red cases to the left are samisen, a Japanese stringed instrument. My grandfather played for me often when I visited 32 years ago.

Food!


That fish fella on the left is what is left after they cut all the best parts of the fish out for sashimi. The head and back spine are then chopped and a fish broth is made. This fish stew was a favorite of my grandfather's, and my aunt ate it whenever it was available when we dined out. 


Presentation is everything. The darker fish were actually a bright blue, but because I'm such an amateur with this camera, I didn't take the photo at the right setting. When I passed this display though, it was eye catching!

This looks like wood and feels like wood, but it's actually dried fish fillets. Once dried, they are shaved, not unlike wood with a plane, the shavings are called bonito and are used to season broth.


This market has high end and low end. I thought this store sign was amazing.

Cute little purses. I'm always looking for ideas that I could possibly make myself.



No comments: